Thursday 26 June 2014

Splash Art Evaluation

Creating My Splash Art


At the start I had decided to create a game cover for a game that was a old naval simulation game which I decided to base off the east India trade company because of all the history behind that time because the East India Company was formed to create trade within the east indies and it had become the starting point of the British Empire in India while having accounts for half the worlds trade really showing the might of the British Empire and their naval dominance.

I started my design by finding an template for the game cover to make it look realistic and save a lot of time of trying to do that part myself, I used a PC DVD-ROM version as most strategy are made for the PC and as a starting point I made the background colour brown to try to give me an idea of what type of background I had in mind as I wanted it to be related to the naval aspects of the game so I was thinking of possibly creating it with a wooden like background.


While looking around online for possible background looks I found an old paper type design which made me think of an old captains log book which I felt really fit the design well and looked really impressive in terms of quality so I imported the image and it became my background.


The next part involved me deciding on the center piece if you will of the game cover and to find that I looked at was images relevant to the East India Company which didn't take long because I loved the look of a coat of arms for the East India Company and all that it represented showing what you could call highly patriotic or propaganda throwing the British Empire in your face by showing that they control what the coat of arms is displayed upon essentially.


To incorporate the image to fit theme and stay within the same style I wanted to show. I used multiple effects on the image involving Bevel & Emboss with a Colour Overlay, Gradient Overlay and Drop Shadow to really show it being imprinted into the paper and looked as old as the paper making it look perfect and not sticking out like a sore thumb.



Then I just imported my logo design and placed it in spots where they would be normally be placed on most game covers and finished off by adding a title which I decided to call simply the East India Company to keep it simple but I used a font which was styled as how text would have been written in a captains log book or at least similar too.



Overall I'm really proud of the design I've created especially with all the mistakes I made when creating my logos I think this has shown that I am capable to create a great design while keeping it all relevant to the same theme to really give it a nice authentic look that I wanted to create based of one topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment